Sunday, May 2, 2010

DIY Keyboard Wrist Rest


Wrist rest.  Wrist rest.  Wrist rest.  Try saying that five times fast.  

Something I love:  Really simple solutions to everyday problems.

For instance:  My carpal tunnel has flared up.  :(  I needed a new keyboard wrist rest at work.  Rather than spend the next 6 weeks going through the necessary channels to order one, I thought I would just make my own.

The best part was that it is made entirely of things I had on hand:  a small amount of fabric and some rice.  And it's pretty.

Here's how I did it:

For starters, I used a highly sophisticated measuring device to determine the length of my keyboard:

Next, I cut out my fabric pieces, mine were approximately 18" by 4".

I sewed them, right sides together, around all but one short side.

Then, I turned it right side out, and top stitched around the same three sides.

Next, fold the open end in about 3/4", press, and fill with approximately 3 cups of rice.  You can use more or less depending on what level of firmness you want.  We don't fool around when it comes to rice in this house.  I had the giant 25 lb. bag from Costco on hand. 

After it was filled, I top stitched the open end closed, and Voila!  A handy-dandy keyboard wrist rest.  I did the exact same thing for my mouse, and just shortened it so that it would be the appropriate mouse size.


Now, because I love you, and because it's high time I start taking this blog o' mine seriously, I have created a template for you to use in case you desire to make your own handy-dandy keyboard wrist rest.  You can download it here.  Enjoy!

27 comments:

Kari Sweeten said...

What a fantastic tutorial! I'll be featuring!

O'Quilts said...

I like it. Good present for man or woman...:)

Brandy@YDK said...

Great idea and tutorial. Thanks for sharing

Boo21's Mom said...

I like the fabric! Good directions and good idea!

AmandaRose said...

I live in mesa also how fun

Amy said...

@PatriciaRaeDesigns-Hi there! It's always exciting to meet a fellow blogger in the area!!

Unknown said...

being filled with rice I'd be tempted, on cold nights in my basement, to toss it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Mmmmmmm, warm :)

Anonymous said...

LOL - browsing on Ucreate this morning, and was like "She used my favorite material!" I have some of that in my stash, too. ;-)

Ginger said...

Love this tutorial, I find that am in need of this for my wrist.
Thank you so much for this wonderful idea going to make me one.

Amy said...

Janelle-Great idea! I was thinking that same thing!

MusicMaiden-It's one of my favorites too! I think I might need to track down some more of it to keep in my stash!

Brooke said...

So cute and a tutorial. Look at you, professional blogger.

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing this fun project. Love the fabric chosen too.

Jennifer said...

Love it= what a great idea.. too .. for a mother's day present.. :)ps. came by via UCreate.. Stop by mine for family fun.. www.waiting4news99.blogspot.com

Cece ~ CraftySmurfette said...

I love this idea...especially since the wrist rest you can buy are so plain. Thanks for sharing!

Lenetta said...

I hate typing without my wrist rest, and even on the couch I have my mouse pad with a pillow with my laptop! I linked to this on my weekly roundup - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I was looking online to buy one but got to thinking why not make one. Then I thought about rice or beans to fill it. I could make one and found your instructions. Thanks so much.
Snodove

Lisa said...

I will be for sure making both! My husband and I are on the computer allot! This is great! I love your step by step instructions!

Lisa

Jessica McAllister said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the phrase "handy dandy". I thought I was alone in the world ;)

Nice tutorial! I need one of these things in a bad way!

Anonymous said...

Done! So easy, thanks for sharing!

hamudale said...

used your tutorial.
came out great.
you're invited to come and take a look.
:)
http://www.tapuz.co.il/blog/net/viewentry.aspx?EntryId=2467192&r=1

amie said...

I love this DIY wrist rest. My carpal tunnel kicks in whenever I use the laptop for college and its so unbearable.

I did the same thing but instead of rice, I used corn. It's personally more soothing. (For those who plan to use corn, make sure you clean it thoroughly).

Great write up and good way to really save money from those expensive, dull looking wrist rests.

lorrwill said...

This great, but your template link is going straight to Adobe...

belajarsehat.com said...

thus Makeme Save 15$ Thanks

Unknown said...

Would the rice poke through? In terms of bothering someone? Thank you!

Sammie said...

How would you clean this? My SO eats/drinks while using his laptop, so it would be almost impossible to not need to clean it at least once in a while..

ANDREA said...

Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU.

Digital Marketing said...

Excellent information, I like your post.

Cheapest Food Delivery Service in Pomona

Best Prepared Meal Delivery Service in Ontario

Healthy Meal Delivery Services in Ontario

Related Posts with Thumbnails